Writing a book isn’t for everyone — but many people who think they’re not writers find out that they have a book in them after all.
This month’s Newport Interactive Marketers inspired audiences to figure out whether a book is for them and, if so, how to write one that’s worthy and worthwhile — without a lot of stress or pain. In fact, we found out how it can even be an exciting and fun process.
Should I write a book?
- How to know if writing a book is for you
- 5 compelling reasons to get started now
- 3 keys to get past overwhelm and make it easy
- Your critical first 3 steps
Ways & Reasons to Write a Book
- To reinvent yourself, establish your credibility by writing a book
- Helps focus your brand and vision
- To get known as an expert in your field
- When you research something, write a book on it, you then become the expert
How to brand your book
- Using a catchy, to the point title, that offers a solution to the problem of your market: example: The Creativity CURE by Drs. Carrie and Alton Barron.
- “Complimentology”: think about your publicity for the future: what are you and what is your brand?
- Include tip lists: 5 things to ____________ OR 5 reasons why ________________
Ways to write your book: Tips From Lisa’s Course
- 8-12 weeks to have a book draft or a book proposal.
- Fill in the holes later (research, interviews, ect) … get the concrete down first.
- Write what you know, or interview experts if you are new to the field.
- Passion — write what you’re passionate about.
Ways to Publish
A traditional publisher will take care of final edits, layout, book cover and distribution. However, you’ll still need to market and sell your book. In fact, it’s generally a good idea to hire a book publicist as well, because publishers rarely get their authors much publicity. However, do get references as you can waste a good deal of money on a publicist if you are not careful.
Self-Publishing can be a cost-effective way of writing and selling your book, especially using websites like Amazon to market and sell your content. When self-publishing, make sure to use professional resources to design, edit, and market your book.
What channel do I use to publish my book?
People are reading paper! If you’re going to be speaking anywhere, it’s ideal to have a physical version to sell. It almost always makes sense to have both e-book and physical book.
What’s the important thing to remember about blogs? And what’s their appeal?
They’re up there forever and sometimes the conversation continues years beyond the date of posting. Blogs can be interactive, which helps you understand what your audience wants (helpful in book writing) and also connects you to your audience and develops a relationship.
What’s the “Bestseller formula?”
- A strong title and topic, of course
- A book that resonates with a large audience that wants and needs what you have to offer.
- Marketing: everything from great design and cover to executing a strategic plan for reaching your audience (which means understanding where they “hang out”—online and off line.